1. Write 1200 pages in order to get to 300 finished pages.
2. Give yourself the freedom to put in content that might not make the final cut.
3. Allow things to gestate. Don’t review, critique, or publish immediately. Sit with your work and don’t give up.
4. Workshops can be damaging and competitive. Understand the taste of critics.
5. Find writers groups and book groups for support.
6. Write two novels at the same time that are at different stages. Also write some short-fiction and poetry at the same time. Switch back and forth when any one exhausts you.
7. Turn off distractions. Focus on the work at hand. Only allow yourself to get distracted by other creative arts: poetry, fine art, sculpture, etc. Write from one soul to one soul.