- Let the buyer TRUST you. (To buy is to trust.) Establish trust through honesty and credibility early with the buyer.
- Let the buyer TALK 90% of the time. (It is remarkable how many sales people fail at this!) Switch from TELL mode to ASK mode. Keep asking questions until the buyer is tired of talking…
- Be TRANSPARENT about your product and yourself. Generally, the buyer only cares about a single feature or benefit. Don’t confuse them.
- Don’t sell a product (feature, benefit) that has no value to the buyer. Focus on identifying unique VALUE for that particular buyer.
- Be OPTIMISTIC, not realistic. (The buyer will inject a health dose of realism.) Your job is to create a positive vision for the buyer.
- STAND UP when you are selling. (Especially on the ‘phone!) Your body-language will convey urgency to the buyer.
- FOLLOW-UP until you drop. (Many sales people give up far too early in the process!) Keep pinging the prospect until they respond.
- Give them TIME to decide. Don’t attempt to force the buyer to make a decision based on some arbitrary constraint (e.g. end of the quarter.) Estimate how much time your buyer will need, then double it.
- Calculate how many no’s you will hear until you get to YES.