1. Write a back story for the characters, then remove it.
2. Find the source of tension in the story.
3. Point of view (POV) originates in the nervous system.
4. Find a route that allows you in to the POV.
5. Find a voice that is clear and consistent.
6. Incorporate elements of science-fiction or surrealism judiciously.
7. Exaggerations and lies make for good fiction (especially if they can be tied to a moral issue!)
8. Take obsessions and create structure around them in the story.
9. Look for negative space and carve it out with intention.
10. Make the reader wonder what happens next: This requires more than just sex and conversation!